The following treatment methods are suggested for different types of symptoms in children
Treatment for asymptomatic
- Constantly track health for development of symptoms. Early detection of symptoms will lead to early treatment
- For mild symptoms such as sore throat, cough and rhinorrhoea but no breathing difficulty, can be taken care of at home.
- Those with underlying comorbid conditions viz. congenital heart disease, chronic lung disease, chronic organ dysfunction or obesity may also be treated with home isolation.
Treatment of mild cases of Covid-19 in children
- Paracetamol (10-15mg) may be used every 4 to 6 hours.
- For cough, gargles with warm saline water will help.
- Intake of fluids and a nutritious diet is mandatory.
- Monitor respiratory rates and oxygen levels
- Chest indrawing, discolouration of body, urine output, fluid intake and activity monitored in young children.
- Contact doctors in case anything out of the ordinary.
Treatment of moderate cases of Covid-19 in children
- Depending on the respiratory rate the case could be moderate.
- No regular lab tests required unless children have comorbid conditions and those conditions demand regular tests.
- To be admitted to dedicated Covid health centres and monitored for clinical progress.
- Encourage oral feeds (breast feeds in infants) and maintenance of fluid and electrolyte balance.
Treatment of severe cases of Covid-19 in children
- Those with symptoms like grunting, severe retraction of chest, lethargy, somnolence, to be admitted to a dedicated Covid-19 healthcare facility and may require HDU/ICU care.
- To be checked for thrombosis, hemophagocytic lymph histiocytosis (HLH) and organ failure.
- Complete blood counts, liver and renal function tests and chest X-rays to be taken.
Please do note that these are just broad guidelines and we suggest you contact a dedicated COVID-19 care center or registered medical practitioner in case your child shows any symptoms or you feel anything out of the ordinary.
SYNE supports the worldwide war against COVID and helps through fundraising for social funding projects. SYNE’s secure payment network provide worldwide reach and transparency making it an ideal partner for non-profits.